Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Boundless Energy Bars- For Julie

2 cups rolled oats
2 cups favourite cereal flakes (I used Vector)
1/2 cup sesame seeds
3 cups chopped dried apricots
2 cups raisins (I used craisins)
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup protein powder (I used hemp protein but it called for whey)

2 tbs olive oil
1 jar brown rice syrup (I bought it at Community the jar was .688kg)
1 cup smooth organic peanut butter
2 tsp cinnamon

Toast oats, cereal, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds until brown.
Pour into a large mixing bowl.
Add all remaining dry ingredients, mix completely.
In a saucepan, over meadium heat, melt oil.
Add rice syrup, stir until bubbly.
Stir in peanut butter and cinnamon and mix until completely combined.
Pour liquid over dry ingredients.
Transfer into a 9x13 pan
Pat mixture firmly into pan.
Refridgerate for at least 4 hours.
Cut into bars and wrap in plastic
Store in freezer.

Enjoy!

With Vector the breakdown is
258 Calories
35g Carbohydrate
10g Fat
10g Protein

9 comments:

Shannon Wicks said...

Looks yummy...I am going to try these out this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

Julie said...

Thanks Kelsey!! I have everything but the brown rice syrup -- I will track it down and then will attempt to create the awesome-ness. :) :)

Susi said...

oh man...it was all good till i read the part about toasting something. THAT MEANS I HAVE TO USE THE OVEN!!! lol.

keeeeeellllsss...can you come over and help me make some boundless energy bars??? PUHLEEEEEZ, haha.

Jenna said...

lol!! I was all good til I read the toasted part too - I saw me forgetting it and burning my house down. You know, this company called POWERBAR makes these ones I just have to pick up at the store ....not as tasty I am sure but.....

kelsey said...

Ha! Ladies the toasting isn't required. In fact if you could argue that they are healither without toasting.

I set my timer to ring every minute and stay very close to the over.

You can make toast right? This is VERY EASY

Susi said...

make toast? uh, what's that?? lol.

kelsey said...

Sigh, yes Susi I will come over and help you! But that means I get to lick the bowl!

Keith said...

Those look really good. I'll have to try them. Thanks! Only a little more complicated that my double chocolate mint with nuts and oatmeal cookies.

Susi said...

YAY!!!